Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mediterranean Cruise - Part 7 (Venice, Italy -- Again)

After departing the cruise ship, we discovered we were really exhausted and did not want to do much (we both have been to Venice before). We could not get an earlier flight back to Brussels, so we were stuck in Venice for the night! What a terrible situation to be in, right??!! I know, it sounds so cliche'. Forgive me, please!

The hotel told us that St. Mark's Square was flooded! Now, I have always heard Venice is sinking and that the high tides cause St. Mark's Square to flood, but I have never seen it for myself. So, as exhausted as we were, we had to get out, fight the crowds, and see this for ourselves.

We were staying across the canal from St. Mark's Square. This is a picture from the front of our hotel looking across to St. Mark's. As you can see, the water was about to start flooding this side of the island too! We got over to St. Mark's and this is what we found...definitely flooded. You could buy yourself some faux rain boots for 1 euro!
Or choose to walk on risers!
It was so interesting to see St. Mark's Square flooded. St. Mark's is one of my favorite cathedrals in Europe...and it was flooded. Yikes!St. Mark's in the background!

This was definitely a site to see and I am glad we fought the crowds to see it.

That concludes my Mediterranean Cruise postings! I hope you have all enjoyed this little adventure of mine and if you ever have the opportunity to go on a Mediterranean cruise, do it! You will never regret it!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I cannot believe that flood! Beautiful (and crazy) photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:24 AM

    Now that's a lot of water!!!

    ReplyDelete