Friday, November 30, 2007

Just when you start to get comfortable...

Ok, I have been here for almost 8 months and I have managed quite nicely driving myself to and from work without getting lost for some time now. Well, just when I thought I knew it all....things go oh so wrong!

I rarely use my GPS to get me to work anymore as I go the same way daily. However, this morning I left earlier than normal and thought I would be brave and try something new and see if I can avoid any traffic. The way I typically go is pretty much a straight shot but with a million stop lights, which in a lot of traffic, means you do not move too far too fast. My GPS has always wanted to take me through the city which is basically going straight through downtown along some of the side streets, etc. I went that way a few times, but the streets are so small that I cannot tell where I am suppose to turn when "Jack" (my GPS) tells me to. Luckily, Jack recalculates my route and gets me going again!

A while back, someone had told me if I take the route through the city it could save me over 10 minutes. Well, in the mornings, 10 minutes is a big deal....so today was the day I was going to try....since I am a total local now....and know everything, right??!! WRONG!

Anyway, I start on my new route and make only a few minor wrong turns. Then I end up in a tunnel where my GPS tells me to turn right...so I do. Well, right after the GPS told me to turn right it lost satellite reception because I was in a tunnel. So, I thought, well, I better turn immediately right because that was what I was told.

Needless to say, it was the wrong turn (as you might have guessed) and I ended up in the European Union's very very very secured parking garage. I knew immediately this was not right when I made the turn. (By the way....remember when I first got here and got locked in a parking garage??!!!) This was almost the same thing...but not quite as bad. There were security guards to get me out and point me in the right direction!

So, I think it goes without saying that I will continue to take the same way to work that I have taken since I arrived....and leave the adventures for the weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment