Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Paris, France

Jennie and I headed to Paris Monday morning! Jennie loved the train and loved the fact it was only 1 1/2 hour train ride! We arrived and all she could say was "WOW"! I love taking people to Paris for the first time and to see their excitement! Paris is the most beautiful city I've ever seen! It's a city that has it all... history, culture, food, fashion, art, and the River Seine.

We had excellent weather and it was actually very chilly! I was glad Jennie brought an extra jacket or I would have frozen! We spent the first day walking around the city visiting the Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower, and the Notre Dame Cathedral. We also did a lot of shopping and I came home with 10 (yes, 10) scarves! I love scarves! They are the best accessory to any outfit and will keep you warm when it is cold outside!

Anyway, Jennie came to Paris with a restaurant recommendation from her boss. We found it and we were definitely not disappointed! It was an incredible steak place that served only steak and fries! The waitress walked over to us and asked what we wanted to drink, how we wanted our meat, and if we wanted dessert. Then it came....incredible steak covered in a sauce (which I have no idea what it was) and fries! It was so good!!! Thanks for the recommendation, Jim!!! The name of the restaurant is Relais de l'Entrecote (http://www.relaisentrecote.fr).

Tuesday we met up with my friend Julie and took the train to Versailles. I went to Versailles in 2004 when I was working in Paris, but I was excited about going back. The Hall of Mirrors (one of the best parts of Versailles, in my opinion) was being renovated in 2004 and reopened this summer so I was excited about seeing that! I was a bit disappointed we were not able to visit the Opera House which was my favorite part when I visited the palace in 2004. Can you imagine living in a palace so grand that you have your own chapel, opera house, and countless bedrooms!?

The Internet describes Versailles as:

The Palace of Versailles was the official residence of the Kings of France from 1682 until 1790. It was originally a hunting lodge, built in 1624, by Louis XIII. It was expanded by Louis XIV beginning in 1669. He used it as a little lodge and as a secret refuge for his amorous trysts with the lovely Louise de la Valliere and built a fairy tale park around it. Jules Hardouin Mansart, the king's principal architect, drew the plans to enlarge what was turning more and more into a palace from A Thousand and One Nights. The terrace that overlooked the gardens was removed to make way for the magnificent Hall of Mirrors, the Galarie de Glaces. It is here from which the king radiated his power and where the destiny of Europe was decided over a century. The French classical architecture was complemented by extensive gardens.

Queen's Bedroom:


King's Bedroom: Chapel: Hall of Mirrors: Me in front of the Palace of Versailles: Me in the Hall of Mirrors:
Me, Julie and Jennie in Versailles' Gardens:

After returning from Versailles we went back to an Italian restaurant that I love named Goldoni's!! It is located at 53, Avenue de la Motte-Piquet, 75015 Paris! It was just as good as I remembered and a MUST go back to the next time we are in Paris! After dinner we headed over to see the Eiffel Tower at night and to watch it twinkle! Watching the Eiffel Tower never gets old!!
On Wednesday, Jennie visited the Louvre and Musee d' Orsay while I spent some time on my own shopping and people watching!

Finally, the ultimate way to end a trip to Paris.....dropping some cash at the Louis Vuitton store! We both came home with LV bags!!!!! I cannot believe I bought one....but certainly do not regret it in the least!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment