Saturday, June 2, 2007

Some Facts About India...

As I get prepared to leave for India tomorrow I wanted to post a few things I have learned about this country that I will be visiting for the next week and a half:

  • Mumbai is 3 1/2 hours ahead of Brussels...that is 10 1/2 hours ahead of Memphis. Isn't that the weirdest thing you have ever heard? I have never heard of a time zone that is a half hour ahead or behind of anything!!
  • There is a Hard Rock Cafe in Mumbai! I am so excited about that! I will at least get 1 good meal while I am in India!
  • You cannot drink, brush your teeth, or do anything with the water in India. Bottled water at all times for everything!
  • Delhi is the capital of India (I thought it was Mumbai).
  • The majority of India's population is Hindus (I assume that mean Hindu??) while around 200 million (20%) are Muslims. Several other religions, such as Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Christianity are flourish. India has no official religion and all faiths can be freely practiced.
  • The temperature is going to be over 115 degrees in Delhi and in the 90s in Mumbai! Just a little warm!! Yikes, it was 70 in Brussels today!
  • The 2 travel guides I have for Mumbai and Delhi both have a "survival guide" section. God help me!!!
  • There are many regional languages spoken but English and Hindi are used as official languages.
  • In the Survival Guide, there is a special section for women traveling to India...great!! It talks about the basic travel tips...don't travel alone, don't wear anything revealing, etc. I keep hearing that the local people are going to want to take their picture with me because they are not used to 'white' people! Yes, another adventure waiting to happen!
  • Toilets...oh this is going to be fun. I will save that for another posting!
  • The currency used in India is the 'rupee'.

That is about all for today's lesson in Indian culture! More once I arrive! Please keep me in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment