Thursday, June 14, 2007

Marble in Agra, India

After we left the Taj Mahal we went to an incredible marble shop. There is not any industry in Agra only craftsmen. The citizens of Agra make their living my hand making goods…one being items made out of gorgeous marble from Rajasthan (the same marble that Taj Mahal is made of). We had the opportunity to tour an excellent workshop where they were making marble tabletops, vases, jewelry, etc.


I was so impressed with the work these guys were doing. You start out with a piece of marble which is cut to the size needed to make whatever you want. Since the marble is white, a coat of pinkish type paint is applied over the marble. This is done so that the guy carving the designs can see what he is doing.

Then, there are other guys making cuts of precious gems in the design to fit what the other guy is carving out of the marble.

Once this process is completed, the gemstones are inlaid into the marble into the design carved. It is so impressive. It takes 2 months to complete a table top the size of an end table you would have in your living room. The gemstones are imported from various parts of the world…Chile, Africa, etc.

I was so impressed with the work these guys were doing that I decided to purchase a table. I cannot believe that I spent as much money as I did on this table…but I have no regrets and no buyer’s remorse. How many people can say they have a table from India, inlaid with precious gemstones which took over 2 months to create, and is made from the same marble the Taj Mahal is made out of??? I thought I needed to treat myself!

I forgot to take a picture of the exact table top I bought before they packaged it up for me but the one below is similar to the one I purchased. I guess you will have to come to Brussels to see my little conversation piece!!!





Below is a picture of the owner of the marble shop!

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful! I need a new kitchen table so if you're feeling generous you can buy one for me too - just joking. That is something you will treasure for a lifetime - good investment.

    I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete