Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Maxie's European Adventures

As I started putting this together, I got a little teary eyed thinking about how much this one little pup has done while living in Europe. Also, I cannot believe her time as a Belgian pup has come to an end.

Saturday, Maxie and I will be traveling back to Memphis for the holidays. It is a bittersweet trip as Maxie is 'repatriating' and moving back to the States permanently. It was a very hard decision to leave her, but I know it is best for her as I come back to prepare and pack up our things and move back in March.

I started thinking back to when we first landed in Brussels, how scared I was, and how much Maxie helped me in those first few days and weeks. To say I could not have done this without her....well, would be an understatement of the year. She may just be a dog to many people, but to me, she is much more.

Check out Maxie's European Adventures...

It all started with our Bon Voyage party where we celebrated with all my friends and family.
Then the packing. Maxie did not want to be left behind so she decided to hang out in my suitcase in hopes that she could go along. I am not sure she had any idea what she was getting herself into!
We made it to Brussels. She was great on the plane as I was a nervous wreck!! We had to stay in a hotel for a couple of days until my things were delivered. Maxie was a little confused but enjoyed playing on the bed with her toys!!
Finally, we moved into our apartment!! Maxie was so confused as to what was going on with all of the boxes, but once I pulled out the comforter for my bed, she smelled something familiar and curled up on it. The look on her face was as if she had finally found home again! She refused to get off that comforter for hours.
Maxie was scared to death of these stairs in my apartment. I assume because they were not carpeted and she was slipping a little. It was a good day when she did not sit at the bottom of the stairs and whine for me to come get her!
YES! Mastered the stairs!!!
Finally, I started getting the place in order and she was settling in comfortably. See, here she is showing off her new living room!
Oh! This was a big day! Maxie got her passport to travel!! Yes, I said passport! She had to get a Doggie Passport!!!! It filled up pretty fast!
This is where Maxie spent a lot of time...in her garden!
But, she spent more time in this window!! She absolutely LOVES hanging out in this window all day and greeting everyone who walks by! Seriously, people stop and wave as they walk by and Maxie wags her tail in excitement!
Maxie's European adventures got started with her first trip to Paris, France in June 2007. How about this Parisian pup!?!
Then off to Bruges, Belgium in August 2007.Back to Brussels and Parc du Cinquantenaire in September 2007.
This was our first trip back to the States in October 2007 at the Amsterdam airport!
And back to Belgium in January 2008 and a little day trip to Gent, Belgium!
She got a little taste of the famous Belgian beer in February 2008 (ok, not really, but it made a cute picture!). I love how dogs are welcome in the restaurants in Europe and Maxie does so well and is so behaved...sure does make a Mommy proud!
Off to Antwerp, Belgium in March 2008.
Then to Château de Modave in Modave, Belgium in March 2008.
Maxie enjoyed a beautiful sunny day at the Keukenhof Gardens in Lisse, Netherlands in April 2008.
Then back to Brussels and a little visit to see the Manneken Pis in June 2008. Off to Cologne, Germany in July 2008.
And back to Bruges, Belgium in December 2008.
Maxie has made a couple of friends along the way, but no one like her little best buddy, Zsa Zsa!!
Celebrating Maxie's 3rd birthday, although they really did not want to!
My girls!
On a walk around our neighborhood!
Yes, Maxie is smiling! Zsa Zsa must be on her way over!Last but certainly not least....we could have made it without these two...

Words cannot begin to show how much I love these 2 people. I have no doubt that God sent this little family to Maxie and me. Dan, Pam, and Zsa Zsa have made our experience in Brussels unbelievable. I have written about how I met them before (click here). I cannot thank them enough for taking such good care of Maxie and me and welcoming us as a member of their family. Maxie is going to miss Uncle Dan's puppy massages and Auntie Pam's chair and blanket! I have to stop there or tears will really start flowing! THANK YOU, DAN AND PAM!!!!!!
In almost 2 years, Maxie has visited 4 different countries and many cities in those countries along the way! What a lucky little Maxie!

7 comments:

  1. I think this was my favorite post yet :) She is such a little dolly... and SO Much better behaved than Riley it's not even funny.

    The thought of him in a restaurant about puts me in the loony bin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were great pics. I feel like I have lived vicariously through a little Maltese named Maxie! What a well traveled little pup you have there. I am already in love with Riley and now Maxie may just seal the deal for us. Now if I can just get rid of my husband's cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was charming. Really fun to read! I'm not usually so prone to being jealous of a dog's life, but I may have to make an exception here. My prayers will be with you and Maxie, for safe travel back to the states.

    And then the next adventure will begin! Hope you'll share about that too : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures. I really love the Parisian Pup one, great shot. Should be a POST CARD, I mean that.

    Glad to see things are going smooth.

    Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are AWESOME. The one in Germany (taken in July) is by far my favorite one. Such a cool pic.

    Not many people (and by not many I mean no one) has pics like this of their pets. These are AWESOME!

    I know you're going to miss her like crazy when you travel back without her but the time will fly by and you'll be home before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing that Maxie is just as spoiled as Gracie...are we weird for loving our dogs this much? Made me weepy...so cute! Enjoy Memphis...it's cold and rainy here! Not missing much :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:51 AM

    I don't know how I missed this post Tippa, I've been keeping up with you through twitter I guess...this post made me cry, I've no idea why. Maybe the companionship you and Maxie share. So sweet. I loved and I do mean loved seeing all these pictures of her...amazing(I can't wait to show mike)
    Glad you're enjoying your holiday and I know Maxie is too...love to you and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete